Special Interest Groups and IG/TG Meetings

Task Group Meeting: Access to Biological Collection Data

(IG/TG01 ABCD)

Overview:
The TDWG Task Group, Access to Biological Collection Data (ABCD), bundles the activities related to further developing, promoting and communicating the ABCD standard. In this meeting we will highlight the recent developments related to ABCD and its Extension for Geosciences (EFG), give updates on ABCD 3.0 and discuss how to create synergies with the developments in other domain specific standards, e.g. Natural Collection Description (NCD).

Organiser:        Jana Hoffmann (jana.hoffmann@mfn.berlin)
Contributors:    Falko Glöckler, Walter Berendsohn, Anton Güntsch
Date/Time:       Wednesday August 29, lunch break
Location:          Otago University, Castle B

Natural Collections Description Interest Group Meeting

(IG/TG02 Natural Colls Descr.)

Overview:
The natural science Collections Description interest group meets to continue work on assessing the needs of and scope for a standard for sharing detailed metadata about scientific collections. Our group has gathered use cases in a gitHub repository and submitted a draft task charter for TDWG Executive Committee review. Members of this interest group have also met with GBIF to discuss development of future resources that can make use of this standard, once it is in place. Multiple community efforts such as GRBio.organd others, are currently underway worldwide to provide online resources to visualize and share worldwide collection-level vision and status. Imagine, in real time, knowing exactly how many collections exist, what they hold, what makes them unique, and how much of their specimen information is digitized, georeferenced, imaged, and published, and who funded the various data mobilization efforts. Development of the NCD standard supports integration and effective sharing of this much-needed data.

Find out more on the TDWG GitHub Site. See the introduction to NCD and the home page describing our challenges. Work already done includes some Standards Cross Walks and collection of relevant use cases. Please add more use cases and questions if you have them by submitting a gitHub issue in the tdwg/ncd repository. And do join us at SPNHC-TDWG2018 to add your vision to this evolving standard.

In anticipation,

Deborah Paul, et al. from the NCD Interest Group

Organiser:        Deborah Paul (dpaul@fsu.edu)
Contributors:    Matt Woodburn (m.woodburn@nhm.ac.uk)
Date/Time:       Monday August 27, lunch break
Location:          Otago University, Castle D

Audubon Core Maintenance Group Meeting

(IG/TG03 Audubon Core)

Overview:
The Audubon Core Maintenance Group is responsible for managing the TDWG Audubon Core multimedia vocabulary standard as required by the TDWG Vocabulary Maintenance Specification (VMS).  As described in section 2.3 of the VMS, a part of that responsibility is to conduct an annual review of open issues related to the vocabulary.  This meeting will serve as that annual review.  Although the meeting is open to anyone (including remote participants), it is primarily a business meeting and is not intended to educate people about the vocabulary.  A separate, informative Audubon Core workshop has been scheduled to provide a venue for more open-ended discussion.

Organiser:        Steve Baskauf (steve.baskauf@vanderbilt.edu)
Date/Time:       Thursday August 30, lunch break
Location:          Otago University, Castle B 

RDA/TDWG joint WG/IG on metadata standards for attribution of collection stewardship

(IG/TG04 Joint RDA/TDWG)

Overview:
Research collections are an important tool for understanding the Earth, its systems, and human interaction. Despite the importance of collections, many are not maintained or curated as thoroughly as they should. Part of the reason for this is the lack of professional reward for curatorial actions. The goal of this IG is to develop recommendations for an attribution data schema that can make getting credit for curation, maintenance, and digitization of a collection as easy as getting credit for a publication. During this session, we will discuss recommendations this group made to the Research Data Alliance last March and present the current progress of this joint group. We will also discuss specifically what these recommendations mean for TDWG and ways to move forward.

Organiser:        Anne Thessen (annethessen@gmail.com)
Date/Time:       Thursday August 30, lunch break
Location:          Otago University, Castle D

Fundraising and Partners Functional Subcommittee Meeting

(IG/TG05 Fundraising and Partners)

Overview:
TDWG FPFS will convene at the 2018 meeting in New Zealand to review work from the past year and to establish tasks for the upcoming year.  Plans will include the identification and assessment of fundraising opportunities and strategic partnerships.  The New Zealand joint meeting with SPNHC and the upcoming 2019 joint meeting alongside GBIF, CETAF and DISSCO are excellent examples of the types of partnerships that should be continued and pursued. Consultation with the Executive Committee and next steps (including finding a new Chair) will be on the agenda.

Organiser:           Constance Rinaldo (in the absence of Martin Kalfatovic) (crinaldo@oeb.harvard.edu)
Contributors:    Martin Kalfatovic (KalfatovicM@si.edu)
Date/Time:       Wednesday August 29, lunch break
Location:          Otago University, Castle D

Literature Interest Group Meeting

(IG/TG06 Literature)

Overview:
This meeting will explore the re-establishment of  the Literature Interest Group, reworking the charge for the IG. (http://www.tdwg.org/activities/literature/) and expand the scope to include discussion of methods, actions and standards for working with literature in the context of TDWG standards. Examples of areas of discussion include DOIs (Digital Object Identifiers) as applied to literature for use in citations of literature in other taxonomic databases; and bibliometrics for biodiversity literature to assist authors in documenting the use of research for impact assessment.

Organisers:         Constance Rinaldo (crinaldo@oeb.harvard.edu) and Carolyn Sheffield (sheffieldc@si.edu)
Contributors:    Martin Kalfatovic (KalfatovicM@si.edu)
Date/Time:       Tuesday August 28, lunch break
Location:          Otago University, Castle D

Outreach and Communications Functional Committee Meeting

(IG/TG07 Outreach)

Overview:
The Outreach and Communications Functional Subcommittee meeting will take stock of the activities done so far and will discuss strategy for activities and targets for the following year. We would like all members interested in outreach to attend the meeting and would like to constitute a working group with members who can contribute and take responsibilities spelled out in the Charter.

Organiser:        Prabhakar Rajagopal (prabha.prabhakar@gmail.com)
Date/Time:       Tuesday August 28, lunch break
Location:          Otago University, Castle B 

Biodiversity Services and Clients Interest Group Meeting

(IG/TG08 Biodiversity Services and Clients)

Overview:
The Biodiversity Services and Clients Interest Group will meet to discuss how to make further progress on a manuscript which reviews the current state of some key biodiversity services, and other topics relevant to our Charter. We will be looking for more volunteers to contribute to the manuscript and ideas for how best to standardize the services to facilitate easier access by clients/users. All interested participants are welcome.

Organiser:        James Macklin (james.macklin@agr.gc.ca)
Contributors:    Anton Güntsch (a.guentsch@bgbm.org) and Niall Beard (niall.beard@manchester.ac.uk)
Date/Time:       Monday August 27, lunch break
Location:          Otago University, Burns 5 

Species Information Interest Group Meeting

(IG/TG09 Species Information)

Overview:
The Species Information Interest Group will have an informal discussion to enrich and round-up the presentations of the “Species-centered projects, tools and methods” Symposium and the contributions of the “Invasive Species Experts' Panel on Breaking Information Silos” by addressing the following 3 items:

  1. Plinian Core status and next steps
  2. Future areas of work in species information (like population data and traits).
  3. Invasive species information

Organiser:        Francisco Pando (pando@rjb.csic.es)
Contributors:    Quentin Groom (quentin.groom@plantentuinmeise.be) and Annie Simpson (asimpson@usgs.gov)
Date/Time:       Monday August 27, lunch break
Location:          Otago University, Castle B

Add Your Input to Challenges for Implementing Collections Data Quality Feedback:

Overview:
Following the symposium:Challenges For Implementing Collections Data Quality Feedback: synthesizing the community experience, a special interest group (SIG at SPNHC) meeting, open to everyone, aims to collate and evaluate these data quality feedback use cases. For tractable issues, we plan to assemble and note the expected ways in which these barriers can be overcome. Where possible, we can tap into existing community resources (SPNHC, TDWG, biology.stackexchange.com, iDigBio, etc.) to help our data providers implement future data updates and track changes. At the same time, we plan to analyze the intractable issues - documenting why they remain challenging - and what, if any potential solutions are available or likely to be available in the future. This information provides future projects like DiSSCo (Distributed System of Scientific Collections) and BCoN (Biodiversity Collections Network) and others worldwide the information required to plan more effectively for cyber/human infrastructure. Synthesizing this input helps visionaries better understand, anticipate and support DQ management and data mobilization efforts going forward by informing design of future proposals and global projects structured with these outcomes in mind. At the end of the SIG workshop, we intend to publish our findings, and merge them with the results of a global survey on the same topic.

Organisers:         Deborah L Paul, Nicole Fisher
Date/Time:         Thursday August 30, lunch break
Location:              Otago University, Burns 7
Booking:              Please book via the registration system for catering purposes

Discussion Session:  Harnessing Biodiversity Collections Data for Addressing Global Challenges

Overview:
This discussion session is one in a series of outreach activities organized by the Biodiversity Collections Network (BCoN) during 2018 to gather stakeholder input about possible next steps in harnessing biodiversity collections data for addressing global challenges.   In the U.S., we are conducting these activities in response to requests from NSF and others to provide a community-derived vision that could inform the development of a new funding program to succeed NSF’s current Advancing Digitization of Biodiversity Collections (ADBC) program.  ADBC began in 2010 and will end in its current form in 2020.  However, we believe that a global perspective on the issue will be helpful for all national and international digitization initiatives.  

In this discussion session, we hope to review the outcomes of various national digitization initiatives, and to look for common themes in terms of digitization accomplishments and data use in research and education.  We will also explore where digitization efforts have fallen short of expectations, what the foci of future efforts should be, and how international collaboration, and more collaboration between collections professionals and biodiversity informatics specialists, might facilitate all future projects.

Organisers:         Barbara Thiers, Anna K. Monfils, Biodiversity Collections Network (BCoN)
Date/Time:         Tuesday August 28, lunch break
Location:              Otago University, Burns 7
Booking:              Please book via the registration system for catering purposes

Natural History Collections Aotearoa and Australasia

Overview:
SPNHC 2018 is the first time that professionals from across New Zealand’s diverse natural history collections in museums, crown research institutes, universities and other organisations have the opportunity to come together. Tackling the digitisation deluge, providing greater access for molecular research and capitalising from growing public engagement are just some of the issues facing our sector. Although some groups and fora have been established in New Zealand, they are limited either to a particular taxonomic group or type of collection. Yet we all face similar issues, from resources and professional development to collections care and information management.  Issues that are also faced by our Australian colleagues.

The collections of Manaaki Whenua-Landcare Research along with the New Zealand National Herbarium Network and the National Systematics and Taxonomic Collections Working Group wish to invite all New Zealand and Australian conference delegates to attend this Special Interest Group Meeting to discuss forming a network through which collections professionals working in all areas of natural history in New Zealand can communicate and share information on best practices in care and management. Such a network might also provide a further platform to increase cooperation between institutions and facilitate national initiatives relating to collection management and care.  The meeting will provide an opportunity for all New Zealand natural history collection professionals to meet and, if there is support for the mooted network, to discuss the format and operational charter that the network should adopt, and how such a network would work with existing fora.  We would also like to invite Australian conference delegates to join us to consider a broader, Australasian network and how that might interface with a New Zealand network.

Organisers:         Aaron Wilton, Sarah Tassell, Nyssa Mildwaters and Robert Morris
Date/Time:         Friday August 31, 11.00am – 12.30
Location:              Otago Uni, Castle 2
Note:                    All welcome 

Registration

SPNHC Annual Business Meeting

Annual Business Meeting of the Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections, please find agenda here.

Organiser:        Linda Ford
Date/Time:       Friday August 31, 1.15pm onwards
Location:          Otago University, Castle 2